Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Am I Now An Orphan?

   1997 was an interesting year for my family.  Both of my parents died,  2 weeks,  to the day, apart.  Mom had been dealing with some health issues for a few years, but nothing that was critical.  Daddy was fine apart from some intermittent back pain.  The Saturday before Easter we found that Mom needed surgery for an aortic aneursym. By May 24th, they both had died:  Mom of complications of pneumonia after the surgery and Daddy from colon cancer that had spread to the spine as well as all major organs.
   That was one of the most difficult trials of my life.  But the Lord was SO GOOD to me throughout that time.  I held each one of my parents in my arms as they died.  That was precious to me.  My memories of their last moments are very dear.  Jesus assured me even through my grief that He was with me, strengthening me, giving me peace, comfort and even joy.  
   Daddy loved to paint.  He was not professional by any standards, but he did his best and enjoyed the hobby.  He especially love to paint birds.  One of his favorites was the Red Bird.  As Daddy died, we heard outside his bedroom window the call of a Cardinal.  It seemed fitting.
  There is a saying that goes like this... "God does not give dying grace on non-dying days".  How true that is!  He gives us the grace we need just for the moment we are in.  Had you asked me before April of 1997 if I would be able to "handle" the unexpected death of both of my parents within the next few weeks I would have said NO, there is no way I could think of such a thing.  But He gave me not just what I needed... but ALL that I needed to walk throught that valley.  
   And HE WILL do the same for you.  If you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  He will be ALL that you need in ANY situation.  Not only that... He will use those trials to build your faith and the faith of others.  As my friends watched me during that difficult time, they often said things like "I don't see how you can stand this!", or "I can't believe you are so calm and peaceful", and "Where do you get your strength? I could not do this!".  I had the opportunity to share the very real presence of Jesus in my life during a time when many people would have "fallen apart".  And I still get opportunities to share what He did for me.  Even today Jesus puts me in situations that make it clear that He wants me to share my experience and through that He gives peace, comfort and joy to others during heavy trials.
   So, what about my original question... Am I now an orphan?  Well, as far as I am concerned the answer is a resounding NO!!!  I have the most wonderful, powerful, loving Father.  He owns the cattle on a thousand hills.  He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  He is my Provider, my Healer, my Comforter, my Strength, my Helper, my Peace, my Banner, my Righteousness, my Shepherd, and He is HERE with me always!  
   The same can be true for you.  If you don't know Him and would like to, please email me.  I would love to introduce you to my "Daddy".
   
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus"
Romans 8:1

Please see our website at http://www.aboundingjoy.com